Sarah Dresser from the city’s Office of Cultural Affairs offers a monthly snapshot of what gallery exhibits to check out around town.
Columbia Palette Group has an exhibit at Columbia College’s Sidney Larson Gallery, on display through July 9. Featuring work by Colette Brumbaugh, Richard Dutton, Kerry Hirth, Linda Hoffman, Kaj Lofgreen, Eva Robb, Mike Seat, Mariel Stephenson, and Jerry Thompson.
(Artwork by Jerry Thompson)
Sager Braudis Gallery
The 2015 Summer Exhibit is on display at the Sager Braudis Gallery (formerly known as PS:Gallery) in the North Village Arts District through August 1. Featuring artwork by Dana Brown, Ken Nichols, Joel Sager, Tom Pfannerstill, and Kristen Martincic.
Columbia Art League
Feast on display through June 19 at Columbia Art League. The CAL Members’ Summer Show opens June 23, reception June 27, 6-8pm. There is no theme for this unjuried show, which is only open to current CAL members. Artists are invited to submit one 2D or 3D work.
State Historical Society
New exhibit titled, Audubon’s Paper Menageries: Birds and Quadrupeds, opens June 20 at the State Historical Society. John James Audubon (1785–1851) traversed North America studying and painting the nation’s birds and animals. Working with printmakers, he translated these experiences into spectacular hand-colored engravings and lithographs depicting American wildlife. The exhibit features selected original prints from Audubon’s gigantic books, The Birds of America (1827–1838) and The Viviparous Quadrupeds of North America (1845–1848). Viewers will see bison, bears, hawks, and bluebirds. Perhaps the most poignant image is the life-sized, hand-colored engraving of a pair of passenger pigeons, members of a species that became extinct in 1914.
Also around town…
- Craft Studio: East-West Dialogues II through June 19.
- CPS Art Teachers Exhibition on display at Orr Street Studios through June.
- Halation with artwork by Marcus Miers at Imago Gallery & Cultural Center through July 3.
- Montminy Art Gallery: Final Approach: The Photographic Art of Oliver Schuchard is currently on display through July 19 at the Boone County Historical Society.
- First Fridays in the North Village Arts District on July 3, 6-9pm