Sarah Dresser from the city’s Office of Cultural Affairs offers a monthly snapshot of what gallery exhibits to check out around town.
Stephens College Historic Costume Gallery
The latest exhibit at the Historic Costume Gallery, “The Day. The Dress. The Dream.” features bridal gowns and wedding attire from three centuries. Highlights of the exhibit include a dress worn at Grace Kelly’s wedding, an exquisite Vera Wang dress on loan and a 1949 design by Ceil Chapman, a celebrity stylist during Hollywood’s Golden Era. Also on display will be custom designs by Stephens alumnae; multi-generational dresses worn by grandmothers, mothers and daughters; and other wedding attire such as mother-of-the-bride dresses and grooms’ formal attire. On display through May 10.
Montminy Art Gallery
Final Approach: The Photographic Art of Oliver Schuchard is currently on display through July 19 at the Montminy Art Galley at Boone County Historical Society. Oliver Schuchard is professor emeritus of photography at the University of Missouri. He was a member of the art faculty for thirty years and was chair of the Department of Art for seven years. In 1992 he was the recipient of a Kemper Award for Teaching Excellence and in 2007 a Curators Award for Scholarly Excellence. Schuchard’s photographs have appeared in nearly 200 exhibitions and in nearly 20 countries. His book, The Landscape in Black and White: Oliver Schuchard Photographs 1967-2005, was chosen as the most outstanding book published by the University of Missouri Press by an MU faculty member in 2005.
Other exhibits around town:
- Platforms: The Senior Show on display through May 15 at MU’s Bingham Gallery. Closing reception on May 15, 6-8pm.
- At Columbia College’s Greg Hartwick Gallery, see Northerlandish Menagerie by Don Krumpos & Johanna Winters through May 16.
- Painting Intuitively featuring works by Hannah Ingmire is on display at Imago Gallery & Cultural Center through May 29.
- The Spring Exhibit is now open at PS Gallery. On display through May 30, the exhibit features works by Andy Fletcher, Susan Taylor Glasgow, Katie Musolff, Cody McLouth, and Joel Sager.
- CPS Art Teachers Exhibition on display at Orr Street Studios through June.
- Feast is on at Columbia Art League through June 19.