The Sports Development Fund was started in 2006 as part of the Columbia Convention & Visitors Bureau Tourism Development Program. This program is made available through 1% of Columbia’s lodging tax and has three different funds in place for sports, festivals & attractions. The funds are awarded to those events and attractions that generate overnight stays in local hotels, have potential for growth and provide overall economic development.
Event organizers may apply at any time during the year, but applications must be received at least 120 days prior to the event start date. Events that meet criteria are eligible for up to three years of funding. Funds can be used for site fees, bid fees, trophies, medals, monetary awards, rights/sanction fees, and promotional materials.
A partial list of past events that have been granted Sports Development Funds:
- Midwest Team Roping Championships
- Missouri Basketball Coaches Association Clinics & Showcases
- Missouri Grand Prix Swimming
- MO/IL YMCA District Swimming Championships
- NAIA Volleyball National Championships
- PGA Missouri Open
- “Race for Sight” Triathlon
- Roots & Blues & BBQ Festival 10K/Half-Marathon
- Show-Me STATE Games
- Special Olympics Outdoor Classic
- Teen Masters Bowling
Questions? Contact Julie Ausmus at the Columbia CVB at 573-441-5573 or Julie.Ausmus@CoMo.govopens in a new window